Empowering You to Protect the Outdoor Places You Love
Outdoor Alliance unites the voices of paddlers, mountain bikers, hikers, climbers, and backcountry skiers to conserve America’s public lands and protect the human-powered outdoor experience.
We Need Your Help
We all need places we can go to unwind from the stress of everyday life, reconnect with our families, and recharge. Our stunning National Parks, National Forests, and BLM lands support healthy families, millions of jobs, and a thriving outdoor recreation economy. If state governments seize public lands, we will lose public access, public ownership, and the public process on these distinctly American places. These lands are our shared American inheritance—let's keep them public.
Stand Up For Public Lands
Donate To Outdoor Alliance
Our mission is to unite the voices of outdoor enthusiasts to protect the human-powered outdoor recreation experience and conserve America’s public lands. You can help protect human-powered adventure on our public lands.
Outdoor Alliance is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that works to protect the human-powered outdoor recreation experience and to conserve America’s public lands.
Our vision is that all Americans have meaningful access to enjoyable, quality outdoor experiences. We work on behalf of the millions of Americans that get outside each year to ski, camp, climb, hike, paddle, ride, and explore.
As a coalition, we officially represent 200,000 human-powered outdoor recreation users in the U.S. and work with a community of nearly 400,000 advocates.
Our members include:
We lead the efforts within the human-powered community to:
- Protect outdoor recreation on America’s public lands
- Secure meaningful protections for important places
- Make outdoor advocacy accessible and effective
- Secure innovative and equitable public land policy
In all of our work, we aim not just to conserve landscapes, but to protect outdoor experiences on them. In this way, we’re building the next generation of advocates by ensuring that all Americans have the opportunity to connect with public lands.
Donate to outdoor alliance - Now
If state governments seize public lands, we will lose public access, public ownership, and the public process on these distinctly American places. Support Outdoor Alliance today with a tax deductible donation and help protect your adventures for tomorrow.
OUR BIGGEST SUCCESS STORIES
- Bringing the Land and Water Conservation Fund back from the brink. We rallied thousands of climbers, mountain bikers, paddlers, and skiers in key constituencies to revive America’s best conservation program.
- Increasing protected acreage in Colorado. Using data and maps of mountain biking trails, we help double protected acreage in Colorado roadless areas from .5M to 1.1M acres.
- Building a community of nearly 40,000 Americans committed to protecting public lands from the public land heist.
- Seizure bills threaten to sell off public land in the west. Outdoor Alliance rallies climbers, backcountry skiers, and mountain bikers to fight these bills.
- Secured $1 million for outdoor recreation in Utah. Our Outdoor Alliance Utah network worked to secure funding for outdoor recreation projects, including climbing access, in Utah.
- Developing policy to enhance outdoor recreation. We have worked closed with agencies to improve National Forest and BLM Planning, with a focus on incorporating recreation data and access into plans.
- Consulted on the Recreation-Not-Red-Tape Act to protect important outdoor hotspots, including a new organic National Recreation Area designation.
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT?
- People-Focused: We know that outdoor recreation is the key way that Americans experience and connect with public land. We work to protect human-powered adventure as well as the broader landscapes.
- Collaboration: As a coalition, we combine forces, find consensus, and secure conservation outcomes.
- Expertise: The combined policy expertise within our coalition makes us the foremost experts on public land policy and recreation.
- Empowering: We work on behalf of millions of Americans who love to get outside, but our method is more “teach a man to fish.” We aim to create the advocates of tomorrow by teaching people how to engage in advocacy to make change.
- Authentic: Our coalition of organizations has almost 200,000 committed members across the country, thousands of engaged local networks, and grasstops advocacy leaders from the climbing, paddling, backcountry skiing, and mountain biking communities.
Ready To Support Outdoor Alliance?
You can help protect human-powered adventure on our public lands. Outdoor Alliance unites the outdoor community to conserve important landscapes, protect recreational access, and create opportunities for the outdoor community to get involved in protecting the places we play.
Outdoor Alliance is the only organization in the U.S. that unites the voices of outdoor enthusiasts to conserve public lands and ensure those lands are managed in a way that embraces the human-powered experience. We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit coalition of national advocacy organizations that includes American Whitewater, American Canoe Association, Access Fund, International Mountain Bicycling Association, Winter Wildlands Alliance, the Mountaineers, the American Alpine Club, and the Mazamas.
As backcountry skiers, hikers, paddlers, mountain bikers, boaters and climbers, we have a direct and intensely personal interest in the conservation of our public lands. We are often the first to notice when something is wrong in our outdoor landscapes, and we are highly motivated to protect these places and the experiences they offer.
Public land and conservation policy is complex, and we work with the policy experts from our national member groups to track important issues and give the outdoor community meaningful opportunities to engage and make a difference.
We believe that a unified outdoor recreation community is the best way to protect the outdoors. By connecting millions of outdoor enthusiasts, Outdoor Alliance works to protect, promote, and enhance human-powered recreation, and ensures the best protections for places that matter to the outdoor recreation community.
Empowering You to Protect the Outdoor Places You Love
Outdoor Alliance unites the voices of paddlers, mountain bikers, hikers, climbers, and backcountry skiers to conserve America’s public lands and protect the human-powered outdoor experience. It's easy to make a difference, donate now.